Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Daoism

Since we talked about it in class a little bit today, I wanted to blog about Daoism. I first learned about Daoism last year in my philosophy class and to be completely honest, it seems crazy to me! To start with some backround information, Daoism is when people pretty much just go with the flow, but with every aspect of their lives. Laozi (also known as Lao-Tzu) was the main person tied to this way of life. These people follow the Dao, or “the Way” to become one with nature. “One should endeavor to do nothing (wu-wei). But what does this mean? It means not to literally do nothing, but to discern and follow the natural forces -- to follow and shape the flow of events and not to pit oneself against the natural order of things” (http://www.chebucto.ns.ca/Philosophy/Taichi/lao.html). As said in lecture, they devout all of their time and energy into reflection. In my opinion, this seems like people are not living their life at all! It would probably be relaxing for a day or so to pretty much do nothing, but not for my entire life. Does anyone else think they could follow this way of life?

1 comment:

  1. I don't think I could "go with the flow" on life like some interpertations of Daoism suggest, but I did like the philosophy's ideas of relitivism. The idea of a mountain being tiny and the tip of a hair on a rabbit is huge depending on perspective.

    ReplyDelete